Monday, January 10, 2011

Becoming British

It is official, I am becoming British. It is not a bad thing, it is just a reality. You see, I joked with friends before I left that I would come back with a British accent; i have been here 4.5 days and I am developing an accent. It hasn't quite evolved to my speaking accent, but everything I think and everything I read is done in a british accent. So while you are reading this blog read it in a british accent, that is what my mind is doing as I write it. I told my parents this today and they said that is no surprise, apparently I had a british accent as a child and people assumed and asked if I was british. I guess I am going to be getting the accent back!

Yesterday was our first full day off and it was a brilliant day. the sun was shining (we get really excited about that over on this side of the pond) and it was the perfect day to walk around. A group of us (five in total) went to brick lane to a market there where we roamed around the stalls before walked to the tower of london. From there three of the girls split to head to Abbey Road and Laurel and I decided to walk across the tower bridge and continue to the other side of the river. We walked around there for a while before heading back to Kensington. We did some grocery shopping (which is a workout when you are walking about a mile for food and then once you get back have four flights of stairs!)

Today was the start of class, but lucky me, I didn't have any class! So I woke up and went for a run before exploring Kensington. Around 3 I hopped on the tube and headed for Piccadilly Circus to buy post cards. I just kept walking and made my way through china town, covant gardens, trafalgar square and back to hop back on the tube. exiting the station i ran into other LMU students and we took the train to other stores so folks could pick up little things. It has been a successful couple of days. Tomorrow i have nine hours of class, so wish me luck!!

Now, back to the British. Not only and I thinking in a british accent but i am also thinking and saying british says and british words. naturally i called a soccer game a football match. I didn't even realize I had done it until later when I thought about it. I say pub all the time. When I realize something that i don't really like, or a mistake that i made, I don't say my normal "shoot" i have turned to bugger (i don't know how to spell it, but it is British!) we have our mobiles and our trainers. The toliets, a rubbish bin and the loo. Briliant and quite are among others that I am using more frequently. yes, I am becoming british and I don't see that changing anytime soon!

So for now, Cheerio!

No comments:

Post a Comment