Sunday, January 23, 2011

I must be Welsh and my life is a musical

Mae Caerdydd yn anhygoel! (Cardiff is Amazing!!)

I spent my weekend in Cardiff, Wales. It was awesome! I honestly do not even know how to begin describing it! Six of us decided to go on this trip to Cardiff for the weekend. A weekend adventure you can call it! We had a bus ticket and a hotel room. We knew there was a castle in Cardiff, but other than that we were clueless. We arrived not even knowing where our hotel was located, we just knew it was in the city center. We found an information center and they directed us to the hotel. We had gotten two hotel rooms because it cost the same price as a hostel, that was a great deal!




We went to lunch at this amazing place called the Kings Cross pub! it served 2 meals for 5 pounds!! That meant we only spent 2.5 each!! it was so cheap coming from London!! It was quite a chilly day, and it was cloudy when we arrived but the sun did come out and it was just amazing! We decided to wander around the town exploring the different markets and shopping areas! While I was wandering i stopped and took pictures every now and then. I was taking a photograph and this woman came up to me asking for directions. I found it a little odd because I had just taken a photograph and looked very much like a tourist in my sneakers and camera. I found a market that sold all kinds of fruit and vegetables for really cheap prices, and i was hoping to go back on sunday but I later found out they were closed on Sundays. That made me a little sad. The area was really amazing and it was SO beautiful! They were older building mixed with modern buildings. All kinds of little arcades (shopping streets) and malls, statutes and sculptures. There was also a couple of nice churches with little parks that just made it a special town.  we met as a group and walked down to the bay where we enjoyed a gorgeous sunset over the harbor. We took a bunch of group shots, forming LMU, jumping off stairs and just having a lot of fun together as a group! It was a cool place to wander because we were able to explore the different areas of Cardiff and have a lot of fun.





We were still not hungry from our huge meal at lunch that we headed back towards the city center. A couple of the girls went to the hotel to relax and get warm (it was really cold in Cardiff!) and a few of us went to the shopping area. I went to buy a book and then headed to starbucks to read. I was really lucky starbucks was open because everything else closed at 6:00, I was shocked! Everything closed so early in the evening! starbucks itself closed at 7 (also early) so we decided to go get dinner at that point. We had no idea where we wanted to go so we just walked up and down the streets, asked someone if they could recommend a place before finally settling on a pub. We chose the pub because there were men dressed up as hobbits inside and we found that was too cool! We chose the best pub to walk into that night because it shaped the rest of our evening into one of the best weekends I have had over here! We decided we wanted to do something that night because we had seen people dressed up to be going out but we had no idea where people were going when everything seemed closed but the restaurants! (it was after we asked for a recommendation that we found it the night life started around 11)

We found the only open table in the pub and ordered our food. There were a group of guys behind us standing up and yelling something every now and then so finally Laurel decided to ask what they were doing. They told us they were playing a game and asked if we wanted to join. We did and we played for a bit before our meal came. When our food showed up we began eating and about fifteen minutes into our meal the guys behind us started to sing. It was incredible. It was as if we were living our lives in a musical. they kept singing song after song, harmonizing in acapella and it was just beautiful. It was so unexpected and amazing at the same time. We were all really impressed and applauded them for every song. after dinner we played a couple more games before they invited us out with them. We agreed and had such an amazing time experiencing Cardiff with the people that knew it best! The guys were so friendly, so genuine, and just made all of us laugh and love the city so much. If I can, I will be going back there because the people are amazing! if you want your life to be a living musical just go there, while we were out they started singing again, so it happens at spontaneous moments! (Granted, we did later learn that they were a choir. We just happened to be in the right place at the right time to meet them)



We woke up this morning and went to the Cardiff Castle! It was such an incredible castle! We took a tour on the inside and each of the rooms was do detailed and impressive. Some of the rooms were based on religion, others on fairytales, one on the seasons. They were all just really magnificent. learning about the history of the castle and things was really nice to know and I gained a deeper understanding of cardiff! We then roamed the grounds of the castle exploring other parts and walking along the wall. It was just a great experience to have with amazing people.





We were walking around the town again this morning when another woman came up to me and asked if I was a local and if I could help her. I told her I was not a local but she wanted to find a store that i have passed going to my hotel (luckily) so I was able to help her! I must look Welsh for two people to ask for directions in a matter of 24 hours!

It was honestly such a fun and amazing weekend! I would not trade my time in Cardiff with anything else! I loved the guys trying to teach me welsh (and telling me I was really good at it--i highly doubt that!). It was just a one-of-a-kind weekends! I hope they happen more often, but Cardiff will always be a place filled with amazing memories and a night of laughter and fun. 

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had fun in Cardiff, I've never been and I live in Wales most of the time! Your Welsh is coming along nicely lol!

    ReplyDelete