Monday, January 3, 2011

Countdown to London!!!

I have two days till I leave for London and three days until I arrive in London!! I am still a little jet-lagged from my traveling over winter break, since I have been up since 5 am, so who knows what time zone my body will be in when I get to London!

A lot of people have been asking me if I am really excited to be going to London. A lot of people have told me how excited they are for me to be going to London. And a lot of people have told me how jealous they are that I am spending my semester in London. I will be honest, I am still not excited. When I tell people this they are shocked and wonder why I am not excited. People do not understand how a person going abroad is not jumping up and down for joy about being in a foreign country and able to explore for four months.

My explanation is simple. I do not like change. Going to London is a huge change in my life and I am not excited about that. However, I am a person that adapts very well to change. I am great under new conditions, I make friends, I explore, and I have a great time. I grow with change. I am not really a person to get homesick when I am in a new place and I am not a person to sulk in a new place. My excitement builds when I enter a new environment. So when I tell people I am not excited, it is true I am not excited to be going yet, but I do know that I will love it when I get there. I am a strange person, I know. 

I was listening to a story about my cousin the other day and the time she spent studying abroad. Her mom was commenting how excited and thrilled my cousin was before she left, but when she got there she was homesick. It was commented how different I was. I am not that excited to go, but I will adapt right away to the change and do great in the new environment. 

So yes, I have two days left until I board a plane to go to London, and I am not that excited yet. But I know I will be a lot more excited when I actually arrive and begin to explore London!

No comments:

Post a Comment