Thursday, January 6, 2011

In London

It is official, I am in London! I should probably be finishing unpacking but I got really bored of that and decided to get on here and update the world of my trip to London.

Yesterday I finished packing my bags and printed out my boarding pass (seat 17G) and was relaxing before heading off to the airport. At dinner my aunt and uncle started talking about how long the flight was going to be. They both thought it was six hours and I was sure it was about an eight hour flight. To put the discussion to rest I decided to get online and look up the flight time under my delta account. I got online and had a nice little surprise waiting for me, I had been upgraded. I was shocked and didn't know how this was possible. International flights always say that up upgrades are not possible. I knew my parents hadn't put miles in for my upgrade and i knew I hadn't done that. I am perfectly content being in economy on the transatlantic flights. I fly them at least 4 times a year (going there coming back, going there coming back) that I have no problem flying economy, I know how to sleep and I am and was perfectly happy about my seat 17G. However, I was not going to turn away the new seat assignment of 9D. I know that my trip to London is very different than everyone else who came because of that.

I get to the airport and one of my bags is 69 pounds and the other bag is 59, so they are both really heavy. The airport is like a ghost town, it is absolutely empty. There are no security lines and no people anywhere (expect for the workers). It was kinda scary how empty the place was! I get through security with no problem and I board the plane no problem. Let me tell you business elite class is very nice. The seats actually fold out into a bed. The food wasn't very good, but I'm a picky eater, so that isn't news to anyone! It was a great flight and I got through customs with no problems and got my bags. I didn't get the beautiful LMU weather of sunshine, instead I was welcomed to London on a typical day--cold and wet. My excitement and joy of being in London made me not even realize it was cold outside.

I took a cab and picked up my keys and made it to my apartment. Now, remember when I mentioned the two bags and the weight of each bag? Well, I got to my flat and realized I was on the second/third (depending on how you count) floor. There was two flights of stairs leading up to each floor and I had the joy of bringing my suitcases up four flights of stairs to finally reach my flat! By the time I got to my flat I had had a pretty good workout for the day! Right when I reach my door someone looks at me and goes, can I help you with your bags. Although it was a really nice offer, it would have been a lot better if I had gotten it four flights of stairs earlier. Even if I had been given the offer, I probably would not have taken it because my bags were SOOO heavy, and I should be the only person who needs to lug them places.

I get to my actual room door and I discover that I am in a single!! Now this is what I REALLY wanted when coming to london. I wanted a single to have a little bit of my own space. I have come to realize that I am the only person who has received a single from LMU. Each person that finds out tells me how lucky I am and how jealous they are. The flats (apartments) are co-ed. the rooms themselves are single sex but the flats are mixed. my neighbors on one side are male and on the other side are female. This means we are sharing bathrooms, kitchens and all that stuff with everyone. There are two flats comprised of LMU students and they are right across from one another, which means we just walk between a hallway and we can see everyone! It has been great getting to meet everyone from LMU!

I have gone out and done a little exploring around kensington. Although it is not much I have found grocery stores and walmart type stores and all that great stuff. I figure tomorrow afternoon I might head into central london to see more and do some exploring! I think I will love having so many days off to spend exploring the great city that London is!

Maybe tomorrow night I will get to a pub to experience the cultural of a pub in London, but who knows anything could happen!

I should probably call it a night because I am jet-lagged and we begin tomorrow at 9:30am with orientation! I hope you are all enjoying your last couple of days of break before starting school again!

No comments:

Post a Comment