Thursday, January 20, 2011

Oxford and other things


I was going to wait until sunday night to write in this blog again. I then realized that I would have been to both Oxford AND Wales by that time. Anyone who has read my blog can tell that I can write a lot about very little. Just imagine how much I could have written about two different places. Before I write about Oxford I need to write about Notting Hill.

Notting Hill was incredible!! I went there on Saturday and it was so much fun. Analise and I went and we did not know that there was a giant market going on. There was really cheap fruit and vegetables! I got 14 strawberries for a pound!! i was very proud of the purchase! We were able to find the equivalent of Sprinkles so we had delicious cupcakes!

Now for a little confession. When I was younger one of my all-time favorite movies was Notting Hill. Therefore, when in Notting Hill I wanted to find the Travel Bookshop. (It was in the movie and was where Hugh Grant worked in the film) I was able to find it! Below is a picture of me at the Travel Bookshop! 


Now moving on to Oxford!! I went to Oxford on Wednesday and it was INCREDIBLE!!! I left from the Paddington Station at 9:50am. Ever read those books about Paddington Bear?? Leaving from the station reminded me of that and made me miss my childhood. They even had a whole little store thing that was devoted to the childhood stories!!

The train ride was so pretty. It was though the countryside. I saw sheep, horses, cute little farm houses. and there was a little frost on the ground so it was magical. I know I have mentioned that it has rained a lot since I have been here, but it was not raining on Wednesday, so i got to spend a very sunny day in oxford!








I hopped off the train and just decided to wander around. I went to this Chruch that was next to part of the Univeristy and it was massive and again, very pretty. it had this really big park behind it just full of the countryside. Rolling hills and trees plus a little stream running though it!





The views of Oxford University from behind the church

The town itself is so quaint! There are so many old buildings and they are just amazing! I just wandered up and down the streets for a very long time just in marvel in everything! 



The school itself is full of amazing buildings! I loved the round building (I believe it was the Radcliff Theater!)






 I stopped in different coffee shops and cafes throughout the day to relax and people watch. It as just such an incredible experience. I was so joyful that it ended up being a really sunny day because I wanted to spend my time enjoying the outdoors. Some of the roads were cobblestone and all of the buildings were done in the older architecture. It was such fun place to be for the day. It would have been fun to have a friend with me, but they were all in class, so i got to experience the town at my own pace!

Coming back the tubes in london were a mess. I had to get on a tube that was going in the opposite direction because there were some problems on my original line. When I got off to transfer there were delays on the other line before i finally just took a completely different line and made it home about 45 minutes after my train had gotten back. (Going there took ten minutes) It was still such an incredible day!!

Stay tuned though, because I am going to CARDIFF, WALES this weekend!!!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are having fun Emilee. So Jealous!! Love how you are doing this blog btw -- you are going to have to teach me when you get back for when I go to Ireland!

    ReplyDelete