Monday, January 17, 2011

Joining clubs at a science school

Its Monday night and Martin Luther King Jr. Day in the US. Unlike the United States, classes still happen here. Well, they happen for most people, I don't have class on monday so I spent my day being productive. I went to my programs student life center to sign up for multiple trips. I was able to sign up for a football match (I have no clue who is playing), A mystery tour (learning about the uglier side of london like burning christians, prostitution and the plague) and I was able to sign up for a day in brighton!

Laurel and I then made our way to Imperial College to find out more information about joining different clubs and activities. We took a little bit of a roundabout way to get to the student union, but we eventually found it where they were able to give us a book filled with the clubs and the information. Although we are going to school with FIE we were given Imperial College Student id's in order to join some of their clubs and use some of their facilities. Now the Imperial College is a science school. A good number of the clubs have to deal with medicine. You have the obvious ones, such as the Surgical club, but there are others that you wouldn't imagine being singled out for med students. For example: Athletics (Medics), Boat (Medics) Darts (Medics) drama (medics), Raising and giving (Medics), Yoga (Medics) and the list continues. Granted, they all say anyone can join, I just find it interesting that they have to specify that they are predominately med students. There are the other clubs, like the cheese club, the romanian club, chocolate club, be heartful Friends club, that don't denote med students. let's face it though, I am only here for four months, i am just going to write to any of the clubs that interest me (medics or not) just to see if any will allow me to join for a really short period. As long as none of it gets really science-y i should be fine. If not i will just pretend like I know my science. I mean, I took AP Bio my senior year and intro to chem my freshman year of college--i would be equal with my knowledge on the subjects, right?

So then it was a trip to primark to look at the cheap stuff. It is like a walmart in london. If you ever travel to London you should be warned that it is rather pricy, so when you find cheap places to shop, you go there!

I have three classes tomorrow. I should be reading my books, but I was getting a little bored so I stopped. I will keep reading but I figured to update this first, its procrastination to the fullest!

It was raining all day today but it is meant to be sunny tomorrow! I should be happy about that, but I am in classes ALLLLLLL day, so I will not be able to enjoy the sun. That makes me a little sad. It is meant to be sunny the rest of the week though and that is exciting for my TRIPS!!

I will be heading to oxford on wednesday for a day trip. I have the day off so i figured i would take advantage of it and travel to a part of england to walk around and explore. I think it will be lots of fun. I am taking a train, so i will learn how the trains work and the whole system with that! and then on Saturday a group of six of us are traveling to Cardiff, Wales for the weekend! It should be a great weekend. Six ladies exploring wales. We don't have any set plans for what we will do once we get there but we have bus tickets and a place to stay. That is all that is needed at this point!!

Stay tuned to see how my different adventures turn out over this week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment